Friday, November 23, 2012

Homemade Sugar Scrub



After a hellacious 9 hour retail shift which ended at 5am this morning, I spent my Black Friday morning, err..afternoon creating a couple quick hostess gifts for two upcoming workshops this week.

Homemade sugar scrubs are all over Pinterest and I was leery of any given 'recipe' truly being a) effective and b) easy.  My worries were assuaged when after mixing 3 parts sugar to 1 part oil, and some "flavoring" or scents, they actually worked well; giving me super soft hands and a great smell.  My youngest daughter who was home from college for the Thanksgiving holiday gave the Vanilla Brown Sugar scrub a try this afternoon in the shower and loved it.  I see more mason jars full in my future.





Both scrubs smell delicious and leave your skin exfoliated, soft and smelling great.  Beautifully presented in a mason jar with decorative labels, tags and even a cute little wooden spoon, they make a great hostess gift or holiday gift!

To make the Vanilla Brown Sugar Scrub you'll need 1 cup of granulated sugar, 2 cups of brown sugar, 1 cup of canola oil and a few teaspoons of vanilla extract.  Mix the sugars until combined, stir in the oil and vanilla and spoon into a mason jar. 

For the Lemon Lavender Scrub, combine 3 cups of white sugar, 1 cup canola oil, freshly grated lemon rind from one lemon and the juice of half a lemon, plus 1-2 teaspoons of crushed lavender buds.  Mix and spoon into a jar.

I also made a Coffee Sugar Scrub, which is great for cellulite, but since I don't have any cellulite, I didn't post it.  Ha.  I just haven't gotten around to decorating the jar.  That recipe is 1 cup ground coffee (I used very inexpensive Cafe Busto espresso) 2 cups sugar, 1 teaspoon allspice and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract to one cup of canola oil.  

Many recipes out there call for olive oil, but I like canola as there really is no scent.

Papers:  Crumb Cake, Festival of Prints DSP, Birds of a Feather DSP, Summer Starfruit and Midnight Muse
Inks:  Early Espresso, Midnight Muse
Stamps:  Mixed Bunch, Itty Bitty Banners, Travel Journal Wheel
Other:  Label Framelits, Itty Bitty Banners Framelits, Fashionable Hearts Embosslits
Mason Jars, Disposable Wooden Spoons, Hemp Twine, White Baker's Twine, Crumb Cake Seam Binding, Taffeta Ribbon in Not Quite Navy

Call, text or email to book your very own workshop, I always have a great hostess gift for my hostess ;)



Thanks for looking,
Liz

Shop my online store 24/7 or visit to find creative ideas or to host a workshop


1 comment:

  1. Liz. These are too cute...where did you find the wooden spoons? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete